Govt moots child helpline to monitor RTE
New Delhi: An online mechanism and
toll-free helpline could soon be put in place to help children
register their complaints with regard to violation of their
education rights as guaranteed under the Right To Education
According to the Right of Children to Free and
Compulsory Education Rules, the National Commission for
Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), which has been mandated to
monitor the implementation of the historic law, may set up a
child helpline to register complaints regarding violation of
The Act, which came into force from April one, makes
education a fundamental right of every child in the age group
of six to 14 years.
The NCPCR may put in place an online mechanism to
monitor the complaints of children about violation of rights,
the rules notified recently, said.
As per the rules, the states will have their own State
Commission for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCR). In case any
does not have such a body, the appropriate government will
constitute an interim Right of Education Protection Authority.
This will be remain in force till the SCPCR is formed.
Besides, the Centre will set up a National Advisory
Council comprising 15 members to review norms and standards of
educational facilities and commission studies to find out the
effective implementation of the Act. The HRD Minister will be
the ex-officio chairperson of the council.
Similar advisory councils will be set up at the state
The rules say that District Education Officer can
withdraw recognition of any school for violation of provisions
of the Act.
These rules will be effective for the Union
Territories which do not have assemblies. The Union
Territories having assemblies and the States will formulate
their own rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore