Govt moves Guj HC to cancel bail of Bajrangi in riot cases
Ahmedabad: The Special Investigating Team
(SIT) probing afresh some of the 2002 post-Godhra riot cases
and the Gujarat Government have sought cancellation of bail
granted to former VHP leader and accused Babu Bajrangi.
An application for cancellation of bail of Bajrangi,
an accused in rioting at Naroda Patiya and Narod Gam here, was
filed in the Gujarat High Court in last week of July.
When the plea came up for hearing today, Justice Z K
Saiyad adjourned the matter till August 30.
Special Public Prosecutor J M Panchal said the State
Government is seeking revocation of Bajrangi`s bail on the
ground of his statements made during the Tehelka`s sting
operation of 2007.
In the video tapes, Bajrangi is purportedly shown
boasting about his heroics during the riots and how he
instigated mobs in attacking the minority community. He was
arrested in 2002 and later granted bail by the High Court.
Meanwhile, the government and SIT have also challenged
an order of the designated court hearing the Naroda Gam case,
disallowing SIT from taking voice samples of Bajrangi and
former VHP leader Jaydeep Patel for the purpose of matching
them with the voice contained in Tehelka tapes.
Justice Akil Kureshi had issued notices early this
week in this regard and fixed the further hearing on August
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch