Govt mulling over law to save street vendors from harassment: Maken
New Delhi: Government is mulling over bringing a law to give livelihood rights and social security to vendors and hawkers in cities and towns which would enable them to carry on their business without any hindrance or harassment by the police or civic officials.
Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Ajay Maken told the Lok Sabha in a written reply that support of urban street vendors has been proposed as a component under the proposed National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM).
"This component would aim at credit enablement, micro-enterprise development support and skilling of poor street vendors in urban areas of the country," Maken said.
The government proposes to get "Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending ) Bill, 2012" passed soon, he added.
The Bill was tabled in Lok Sabha on September 6, 2012 and has been referred to the Standing Committee Urban Development for examination.
The Bill provides that no street vendor, who carries on street vending activities in accordance with the terms and conditions of his certificate of vending, shall be prevented from exercising such rights by any person or police or any other authority exercising powers under any other law for the time being in force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh