Govt mulling study on living patterns of tribals
New Delhi: The government is planning to
rope in health and nutrition experts to study living pattern
of tribals, including Jarawas of Andaman and Nicobar Islands,
in an effort to reduce their susceptibility to diseases.
Observing that the immunity of tribals and forest
dwellers in the country is an area of concern, Tribal Affairs
Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo said that "utmost
importance" should be given to their health needs.
Replying to a question on various tribes being
susceptible to epidemics and genetic disorders, Deo said,
"Basically, they would need to be immunised and probably the
medical experts and anthropologists will have to study and
tell us how they existed all these years and what needs to be
Probably they (tribals) have their own medicines to deal
with their diseases, unless some new disease have appeared in
their areas, he added.
"I think utmost importance should be given to that area
to ensure that their immunity increases. Probably nutrition is
another thing which can do this and their existence," the
Tribal population in India is located in various states
such as Tamil Nadu, Orissa, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh,
Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar,
Jharkhand, West Bengal, Mizoram, and other northeastern
states, and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Maximum tribal population density is found in areas of
North East and faraway Union Territories such as Andaman and
Nicobar and Lakshadweep islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Trains being searched at Mathura Railway Station post bomb threat call
- I had a vision of scoring the winning goal: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Revealed: What RCB, SRH players did on the night before IPL final!
- Housing.Com to achieve $10 million revenue this fiscal
- Jats protest outside Rajnath Singh's residence demanding reservation