Govt mulls raising MPLAD fund to Rs 1 crore
New Delhi: The government is considering raising the limit of money MPs can spend from the Local Area Development fund on education institutions to Rs 1 crore, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Friday.
While there is no limit for MPLAD funds being spent on government schools, Rs 50 lakh in a year can be provided for private or NGO-run educational institutions, Minister for Statistics and Programme Implementation Srikant Kumar Jena said during Question Hour.
Besides, there is a limit of Rs 25 lakh per private/NGO- run education institution, he said adding two House panels have recommended raising doubling of the limits to Rs 1 crore and Rs 50 lakh respectively in a year.
"We are considering that and very soon we will take a call," Jena said.
He said MPLADS fund cannot be used for creating any asset for commercial use. "Movable assets like Porta Cabins are not allowed for any purpose under MPLAD Scheme," he said.
The funds can be used for creation of community assets of developmental nature in priority sectors like drinking water, primary education, public health, sanitation and roads.
The minister said many state governments were treating MPLAD and MLA LAD differently and the Centre is impressing upon them to apply common parameters and sanction work uniformly.
"There has to be transparency on this," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof