Govt must strengthen BASIC initiative on climate change: CPI-M
New Delhi: The CPI(M) today asked the government to strengthen the BASIC initiative and efforts of the developing countries on climate change, saying there was an "undisguised effort" by the developed world to negate the UN Framework on climate change.
"What emerges from Copenhagen (summit) is an undisguised effort by the developed world to negate the very understanding of the United Nations Framework on Climate Change and to jettison their commitments and responsibilities as contained in the Kyoto protocol and the Bali plan of action," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said.
In an editorial in the forthcoming issue of party organ `People`s Democracy`, he said steps should be taken to "ensure that the developed countries part with their due share and
obligations" in terms of providing funds and transferring technology to developing nations.
Yechury said an important element in this effort that played a crucial role in resisting the developed world`s moves to "jettison the entire process at Copenhagen was the unity of
the four emerging economies -- India, China, Brazil and South Africa, or the BASIC."
Noting that this unity needed to be strengthened along with other member states of G-77 "to resist the pressures" of the developed countries, he said such resistance was important
to ensure that "the process of climate change is tackled with the need for necessary justice and equality".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate