Govt nod for CET to get into medical colleges
New Delhi: The common entrance test for undergraduate and post-graduate courses in medical colleges across the country from the next academic year is set to become a reality with the Union Health Ministry clearing the proposal by the Board of Governors of MCI.
A notification to this effect is expected within the
next week, Chairperson of the Medical Council of India Board
of Governors Dr S K Sarin told reporters here on Tuesday.
He said a single entrance test would substantially
reduce the stress level of the students, who, under the
current system, have to sit for upto seven separate entrance
Under the new entrance which would be called the
National Eligibility Test, the colleges can choose from
separate merit lists for students in the general, minority,
disabled and any other categories, he said.
Admission tests are conducted annually for nearly
32,000 undergraduate seats and 13,000 post graduate seats in
medical colleges across the country.
Another board member Sita Naik said that recognising
the need for curriculum needs of medical education, the MCI
was also working towards introducing new methodologies for
This includes having more distance learning centres,
adapting new methods like skill labs and more interactive
tele-medicine classes for students in far-flung areas.
"In fact the health ministry is in the process of
establishing an all India tele-medicine network," she said.
The members also emphasised on having more post
graduate and under-graduate seats in medical education. "We
have to increase the number of PG seats and courses. We are
making speciality boards which will look into the courses".
Sarin said that the board had before it around 300
applications for starting new courses.
He added that the board has taken a decision to make
it compulsory for each and every doctor to register in the
state where they are practising.
Apart from this, from now on all colleges applying for
registration can now come directly to the MCI and nor through
the Health Ministry as earlier.
The board has also set up an equivalence committee
which is evaluating degrees and courses from various countries
and colleges in the country to rate them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?