Govt nod to more quota for women in civic bodies
New Delhi: The Government today approved
enhancing of reservation for women in urban local bodies from
one third to fifty per cent.
This provision will apply to the total number of seats
to be filled by direct election, offices of chairpersons and
seats and offices of chairpersons reserved for SCs and STs.
Increased representation of women is likely to yield
significant benefits in terms of higher priority to women`s
issues in critical areas of urban governance and service
delivery such as water supply, sanitation, education and
health, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told
reporters after a meeting of the Union Cabinet.
The Ministry of Urban development will move a Bill for
amendment to an article of the Constitution to this effect in
the next session of Parliament.
The proposed amendment will cover all states and Union
Earlier, the Union Cabinet had approved a proposal to
increase reservation for women to 50 per cent in Panchayats.
President Pratibha Patil, in her address to the joint
sitting of Parliament on June 4, had said a Constitutional
amendment would be brought in to provide 50 per cent quota for
women in Panchayats and urban local bodies.
She had said, since women suffer multiple deprivations
of class, caste and gender, enhancing reservation in
Panchayats and urban local bodies would lead to more women
entering the public sphere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag's take on Kohli and Kabali will leave you in splits
- Hrithik Roshan's kids Hrehaan and Hridhaan emulate daddy dearest and we are loving it! See pic
- France's Francois Hollande says Munich shooting is a ''terrorist attack''
- BSF trooper shoots dead young Muslim woman in Tripura after unsuccessful rape bid - Know what happened
- Brazilian scientists found another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito