Govt nod to more quota for women in civic bodies
New Delhi: The Government today approved
enhancing of reservation for women in urban local bodies from
one third to fifty per cent.
This provision will apply to the total number of seats
to be filled by direct election, offices of chairpersons and
seats and offices of chairpersons reserved for SCs and STs.
Increased representation of women is likely to yield
significant benefits in terms of higher priority to women`s
issues in critical areas of urban governance and service
delivery such as water supply, sanitation, education and
health, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told
reporters after a meeting of the Union Cabinet.
The Ministry of Urban development will move a Bill for
amendment to an article of the Constitution to this effect in
the next session of Parliament.
The proposed amendment will cover all states and Union
Earlier, the Union Cabinet had approved a proposal to
increase reservation for women to 50 per cent in Panchayats.
President Pratibha Patil, in her address to the joint
sitting of Parliament on June 4, had said a Constitutional
amendment would be brought in to provide 50 per cent quota for
women in Panchayats and urban local bodies.
She had said, since women suffer multiple deprivations
of class, caste and gender, enhancing reservation in
Panchayats and urban local bodies would lead to more women
entering the public sphere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Rajnath Singh to head all-party delegation to Kashmir on September 4
- Could 3D printing save our coral reefs? - Watch
- Ranbir Kapoor has a Bollywood style icon and he is a BIGGIE!
- Yemen suicide bombing: At least 45 dead so far
- West Bengal renamed as 'Bangla' in Bengali, 'Bengal' in English; state assembly passes resolution