Govt nod to proposal for increasing seats, posts in PGIMR
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 18:11
  
New Delhi: Government on Thursday approved a proposal for expansion of number of seats and posts in the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Research (PGIMR), Chandigarh, for implementing 27 per cent OBC reservation.

The decision was taken at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee of Economic Affairs (CCEA).

Implementation of the 27 per cent OBC reservation in PGIMR, Chandigarh, over a period of three years without altering the number of unreserved seats, would necessitate increase in the total number of seats in the Medical Post Graduate courses, Nursing Courses and Paramedical Courses Union Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters here.

There would also be a corresponding increase in the number of faculty, resident doctors and infrastructure.

The Central Government had enacted the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Act, 2006 for reservation in seats for Other Backward Classes (OBCs).

With the introduction of 27 per cent reservation for OBCs in all institutes under the Central Government, the total percentage of reservation will go up from the present level of 22.5 per cent to 49.5 per cent.

It will provide reservation to OBCs in admission to this institute under Central Government.

On implementing the reservation for OBC in the Institute, an additional 214 Post Graduate seats would be created, increasing the total number of seats from 396 to 610.

Further, an additional 192 seats in Nursing Courses would be created increasing the total number of seats from 360 to 552. Also, an additional 87 seats in Paramedical Courses would be created increasing the total number of seats from 160 to 247.

PTI


First Published: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 18:11


comments powered by Disqus