Govt not neglecting minority institutions: Siddiqui
New Delhi: Chairperson of the National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions MSA Siddiqui has said that the government is not neglecting
minority institutions but people associated with them take advantage of the minority status.
"It is not the government that is neglecting these (minority) institutions. In fact, it is the people, who on the pretext of religious institutions, take advantage of many government facilities," he told a news agency in an interview.
"I have heard complaints that 30 percent of the madrasas receiving government help in one form or the other are operating only on papers," he said.
Answering questions on the minority status given to Jamia Millia Islamia University recently by the Commission, Siddiqui said, "It is wrong to say that the image of Jamia will receive a blow after being declared a minority institution. This University has remained a secular institution for years and will remain so in the future."
After getting the minority status, Jamia can now reserve 50 percent of its seat for Muslim students.
"I believe that reservation for Muslim students in educational institutions will help them reach those institutions where otherwise they cannot take admission, due to many reasons. It will help Muslim boys and girls to contribute towards the development of the nation in a more effective manner," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September