Govt not neglecting minority institutions: Siddiqui
New Delhi: Chairperson of the National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions MSA Siddiqui has said that the government is not neglecting
minority institutions but people associated with them take advantage of the minority status.
"It is not the government that is neglecting these (minority) institutions. In fact, it is the people, who on the pretext of religious institutions, take advantage of many government facilities," he told a news agency in an interview.
"I have heard complaints that 30 percent of the madrasas receiving government help in one form or the other are operating only on papers," he said.
Answering questions on the minority status given to Jamia Millia Islamia University recently by the Commission, Siddiqui said, "It is wrong to say that the image of Jamia will receive a blow after being declared a minority institution. This University has remained a secular institution for years and will remain so in the future."
After getting the minority status, Jamia can now reserve 50 percent of its seat for Muslim students.
"I believe that reservation for Muslim students in educational institutions will help them reach those institutions where otherwise they cannot take admission, due to many reasons. It will help Muslim boys and girls to contribute towards the development of the nation in a more effective manner," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you