Govt offers scholarships to Malaysians
Kuala Lumpur: The Indian government has offered 20 scholarships to Malaysians wanting to pursue courses in ayurveda, siddha, homeopathy and unani in India for the academic year 2011-12 and onwards.
The decision follows the visit to Malaysia of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last October.
The high commission has invited applications from Malaysian nationals who wish to pursue traditional system of medicine courses.
Eleven scholarships will be offered for the Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery (BAMS), five for the Bachelor of Siddha Medicine and Sciences (BSMS), two for the Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery (BUMS) and two for the Bachelor of Homeopathy Medicine and Surgery (BHMS), the high commission announced Tuesday.
The scholarships will be offered for studies in selected colleges. No air fare will be provided but the scholarship provides for tuition fees, living allowance, contingent grant, house rental allowance and medical benefits, The Star reported.
Malaysia is home to 2.1 million ethnic Indians. A large number of Malaysians study in Indian institutions. India is also a preferred destination for those seeking medical treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured