Govt offers talks with Maoists, NE insurgents

Last Updated: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 23:08

New Delhi: The Centre on Wednesday offered talks
with Maoists and insurgents in the north east with a condition
that they should suspend violence.

"Violence does not pay and violence will not pay. The
State will not bend before anyone who uses violence as an
instrument of policy to achieve political demands.

"That is why we tell them suspend violence and come for
talks and when you come for talks; you will be treated with
dignity and honour. And we can resolve your political demands
through talks," Home Minister P Chidambaram told a press
conference on a day he completed three years in the ministry.

He was replying to questions on the bomb blast in Manipur
today and about talks with different insurgents groups in the
north east.

"Yes, it applies to maoists also. I have made this
statement several times before and I make it again today as I
complete three years. Even maoists should suspend violence. We
are not asking for more at this stage. Just say there will be
no violence and my offer stands," Chidambaram said.

"After consulting Chief Ministers of the States
concerned, within 72 hours we will get back to them to fix the
dates and venue for starting talks. But they must suspend
violence," he said.

Rejecting allegations of fake encounter, Chidambaram
said there is "no doubts" that maoist leader Kishenji was
killed in a gun battle with security forces in West Bengal
last week.

"Reports indicate that he was killed in a gun battle
that started on November 22 and concluded on November 23. We
have no doubts about the encounter. He was killed in an
encounter," he said.

In accordance with the National Human Rights Commission
guidelines, the State government has set up an inquiry by CID
into the death of Kishenji alias Koteshwar Rao, Chidambaram
said.

To a question whether there was any specific report to
the Home Ministry about the encounter, he said "Yes, Director
General of Central Reserve Police Force, who visited the
place, briefed me personally.

"He has spoken to the team that was engaging with the
maoists. He has spoken to West Bengal police officers and we
have spoken to the senior police officers of West Bengal
government and on that basis I have made the statement... We
have no doubts about the encounter," Chidambaram said.

In the wake of killing of Kishenji, the police in the
left wing extremists affected areas have been asked to remain
on alert, he said.

On the bomb blast in Imphal, Chidambaram said "Manipur
is on high alert. In the run up to the Prime Minister`s visit,
it remains on high alert.

"The information is IED was handed over to a person and
before he could place it, it went off. He was severely
injured. Four others have received minor injuries. The police
have been able to speak to the person who is believed to have
carried the IED and they have taken statement".

He said we have anticipated that there will be trouble
in Manipur and therefore very stringent measures have been
taken.

PTI



First Published: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 17:33

comments powered by Disqus