Govt on backfoot over Telangana issue: BJP
New Delhi: Charging the Centre with going on
the backfoot over the Telangana issue, BJP on Saturday said the
government is shying away after making a commitment to grant
statehood to the region.
"The government of the day (Manmohan Singh`s government)
is shying away after committing to give a Telangana state and
is now on the backfoot over the issue," senior BJP leader
Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
Asking the Centre to respond to the Telangana demand
without delay, he said it is a reality which cannot be kept in
abeyance for a long time and warned that Congress will suffer
political losses due to "dilly-dallying" on the issue.
"The politics of the Congress is going to cost the party
not only in Andhra Pradesh, but across the country," he said.
The BJP has already made its stand clear by supporting the
formation of a separate Telangana.
The Centre, meanwhile, continued to grapple with the
situation arising out of the ongoing pro-Telangana agitation
in Andhra Pradesh with hectic parleys among senior Congress
ministers going on throughout the day.
Andhra Pradesh Governor E S L Narasimhan today met Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and briefed him about the situation in
the agitation-hit region.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy also
held a meeting with senior ministers Pranab Mukherjee and P
Chidambaram to discuss the situation arising out of the
Telangana statehood demand.
The meetings assume significance as the general strike in
Telangana region entered the 27th day today amid indications
that the agitation would be intensified in the coming days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door