Govt opens country`s first all-women post office
New Delhi: The government Friday opened the country`s first all-women post office here and announced plans to open more such branches completely operated by women employees.
"In coming days, I believe there will be more all-women post offices across country for convenience of women," Telecom and IT Minister Kapil Sibal said.
While inaugurating first `All Women Post office` in the country on the eve of International Women`s Day, he said the new post office branch will be completely operated by women employees and provide all facilities that are available at any other post offices.
"This is first office in the country where all employees will be women. The government is looking into problem faced by woman and this is just a symbolic step," Sibal said.
In the Union Budget government announced to set up an all-women bank by October-end.
P Gopinath, Secretary, Department of Posts, said the department has plans to have one such post office in every metro cities and subsequently include all the large towns particularly where there are lot of working women.
"There is different comfort level when women interact among themselves. Keeping all this in mind we will open post offices in places where there are large number of women. We have identified Mumbai, Chennai, Chandigarh, Lucknow, Hyderabad and Bangalore to start with," she said.
Gopinath added that the department will open more women post offices in old Delhi area within fortnight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days