Govt orders maximum security for Missions in Afghanistan
New Delhi: Government has ordered "maximum
security" for Indian Missions and other assets in Afghanistan
in the wake of a heightened threat from Taliban and other
Pakistan-based terror groups which could carry out a wave of
attacks, including car bomb blasts.
Sources said intelligence inputs suggested that apart
from the embassy in Kabul, consulates in Kandahar, Jalalabad,
Mazar-e-Sharif and Herat and development and reconstruction
projects being carried out by Indians could be targeted by
Haqqani faction of Taliban or terrorist groups based in
Pakistan like Laskhar-e-Taiba, which has lately been expanding
its base in Afghanistan.
The terrorists could launch a wave of attacks, involving
explosion of car-bomb followed by assault by gunmen, the
Nearly 200 Indo Tibetan Border Police personnel, who are
guarding the embassy that has already been targeted twice
since 2008, and Indian nationals working on developmental
projects have been alerted of the possibility of the attacks.
The government has ordered `maximum security` for all of
them, the sources said.
New Delhi has also requested Kabul to deploy adequate
Afghan security personnel in the Indian missions as well as
The staff of the embassy and Indians working on
developmental projects have been advised to exercise caution,
restrict their movements to the minimum and maintain secrecy.
On February 26 this year, two hotels in Kabul where
Indians engaged in developmental and reconstruction works in
that country were targeted by terrorists.
The terror attack was on the pattern of the 26/11 Mumbai
carnage, with six to eight terrorists targeting the hotels and
hunting for victims during the strike in which two major-rank
officers of the army were among the six Indians killed and 10
others, including five army officers, were injured.
The attack was the fourth on Indian interests in
Afghanistan since July 2008 when a car laden with 100kg of
explosives was blown up at the gate of Indian Embassy, killing
60 people, including four Indians, a Brigadier-rank officer,
a senior IFS officer and two ITBP personnel.
In October last year, terrorists struck again at the
embassy, carrying out a car bomb explosion near its outer wall
and killing 17 people.
Subsequently, in December, a hotel housing staff of an
Indian IT company was targeted. Eight people were killed and
two IT executives, an Indian cook and a cleaner were among
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- ''Disappointment'' over Pay Commission due to Centre's inability to rein in inflation: JD (U)
- Want to live longer? Restrict your calorie intake!
- Maharashtra B.Ed CET Result 2016: dhe.mhpravesh.in declares B.Ed CET Results, check B.Ed result 2016 by directly clicking here
- Delhi boy 'Sonu', abducted 6 years ago, returns home from Bangladesh today
- 'Sultan' Salman Khan lends his majestic voice for the title track, impresses again! – Check out