Govt panel to look into monopolisation of TRPs
New Delhi: With questions raised in Parliament
over monopolisation of television rating points (TRPs)
measurement by certain private agencies, government today said
it will form a committee to look into it.
"We will soon form a committee comprising professionals,
which will look into the issue and suggest ways to handle it,"
Minister for Information and Broadcasting Ambika Soni told
Last year, both the Houses of Parliament had sought an
explanation from the minister on why certain private agencies
(TAM and aMAP) have virtually monopolised the TRP measurement
Soni had sought some time from Parliament to look into
the issue and the decision to form a committee is part of the
ministry`s action plan.
She said while the committee would do its work, the
ministry was also taking steps to revive the Broadcasting
Audience Research Council (BARC), a mechanism which had been
formed by some broadcasters in 2007 on recommendation of
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) for measuring
TRPs. However, it did not take off.
While observing that popularity of any television
channel cannot be determined by data collected from only
10,000 boxes (used for measuring TRPs), Soni said there was a
need to expand the ambit evaluation and for this BARC is
being revived, which will do the job on a wider range.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea