Govt passes NCTC test in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday heaved a sigh of
relief as amendments moved by opposition to the President`s
Address on NCTC were defeated in the Rajya Sabha, where UPA is
in minority, with the help of SP and BSP while ally Trinamool
The government, which has 97 members in the 245-member
House, had a smooth sail in the voting on the NCTC after Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh said nothing would be done to infringe
upon the federal structure and next step would be taken only
after full consultations with states.
Four amendments moved by CPI-M and BJP were put to vote at
the insistence of Opposition members, who were seeking an
assurance that the government will not move forward on the
NCTC unless there is an "agreement" with the Chief Ministers.
The amendments were defeated by 105 to 82 votes.
SP with four members and BSP with 17 voted with the
government. TMC with six members left the House before the
Four more amendments on the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils
were also put to vote on the insistence of CPI and AIADMK in
which the government won securing 84 votes of the total 94
present as members from Left and NDA had already walked out.
Subsequently, the Motion of Thanks was adopted by voice
Replying to the debate on the Thanks Motion, Singh earlier
said the next step on operationalising the NCTC would be taken
after full consultations and noted that a meeting of Chief
Ministers has been convened in this regard on April 16.
Making a strong pitch for the NCTC (National Counter
Terrorism Centre), he said it was an important step in
fighting terrorism and left-wing extremism and cited the
abduction of two Italians in Odisha as a "grim reminder" of
the danger posed by these to national security.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Watch: Akshay Kumar's impressive martial arts session with IPS officers!
- Vinod Kambli defends Salman Khan, advises Gautam Gambhir not to 'become so gam'
- Philippines` Aquino vows to `neutralise` Abu Sayyaf kidnappers
- JEE Main Result 2016 declared; check on cbseresults.nic.in, jeemain.nic.in
- Archery World Cup: Deepika Kumari equals world record in recurve event