Govt places Radia tapes before SC
New Delhi: Government on Thursday placed before the Supreme Court in sealed cover recorded tapes containing the conversations between corporate lobbyist Nira Radia and
others relating to the 2G spectrum allocation case.
While placing the recorded conversation before the bench comprising justices GS Singhvi and AK Ganguly, Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium said that it is a hard
disc drive directly downloaded from the server which contains the conversations.
However, advocate Prashant Bhushan appearing for the NGO Centre for Public Interest Litigation (CPIL) said though CBI maintains that there were 5,800 conversations, it has
prepared the transcript of only 3,000 such conversations.
The Supreme Court had yesterday directed that the original tapes containing the conversation between Radia and others pertaining to the 2G spectrum allocation case be handed over to it in a sealed cover.
"We direct that the original records and tapes/CDs be submitted in a sealed cover after preparing the copies. It will be kept in the lockers of the Supreme Court registry and
if required, will be considered for its use," the court had said.
The direction from the bench had come after the government had submitted that it has no objection in handing over the complete set of tapes in the wake of apprehensions
that the tapes may be destroyed.
Subramanium had said that he has got instructions that there was no objection in handing over the tapes and the court can give direction for preserving them in whatever way it
The apex court had earlier asked the government to respond to the plea for preserving the tapes containing conversation between Radia and others relating to the case.
The bench had asked the Solicitor General to take instructions from the authorities on the plea made by the NGO CPIL.
While hearing the issue earlier, the apex court had described the "pollution" as "mind-boggling".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video