Govt planning multi-use smart ID cards by 2013
New Delhi: The government is working on a proposal to issue multi-purpose smart identity cards to all adult citizens by the end of 2013, a move that could result in
cost savings for the exchequer.
"The proposal has been made under Citizenship Act
amendment made in 2003. The Registrar General of India has
proposed to issue smart identity cards to all citizens of the
country above 18 years, which is under consideration by the
Department of Expenditure," a senior official of the Registrar
General and Census Commissioner (RGCC) told a news agency.
These cards can be also used in the place of ration, toll
and election cards, among others, resulting in lower costs for
the government, as a single card could serve various purposes
rather than a separate ones for each service.
The official said adults constitute approximately 65 per
cent of the country`s population and the government estimates
that each smart card will cost about Rs 50.
"The final cost will be decided based on the
recommendation received from the technical committee which has
been set up under the Director General of NIC, B K Gairola,"
the official said.
He added that the recommendations from the technical
committee are expected to be out by October-end.
Among other things, the proposed smart identity cards
will carry Aadhar numbers issued by the Unique Identity
Authority of India (UIDAI), photographs, biometric data like
finger prints and an iris scan of the card holder on an
According to industry experts, these cards could be used
by the state and the central government to replace various
other cards and even the cost of each card can brought down.
"Both the state and central government can use these
smart cards to provide a variety of services. Multi-purpose
smart cards have the potential to work for several
applications such as ration cards, toll cards, election cards
or citizen ID cards or any application you can think of,"
smart card and biometric market expert S Swarn of Electronics
Swarn added that cost of cards can also go down if
government applications are loaded on the same card, rather
than issuing a separate smart card for each individual
Last week, Registrar General of India C Chandramouli said
the government will start the distribution of approximately
eight million smart identity cards in 3,331 coastal area
villages in the next two months.
"The basic objective of issuing these cards is to
identify citizens of the country and check infiltration.
However, more can be done with these cards," the official
The government has allocated about Rs 6,600 crore for
digitisation of all data on citizens in the country.
Three public sector units -- ITI, BEL and ECIL -- are
involved in the digitisation of data collected from 13 coastal
states, Delhi, Nagaland and Manipur during the Census 2011.
According to the official, the Department of Information
Technology will start digitisation of data for the rest of
country by November this year and complete it by mid-2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!