Govt planning to give deemed deputation status to PB employees
New Delhi: Government today informed
Rajya Sabha that it is planning to give Prasar Bharati
employees, who had joined the public broadcaster till October
5, 2007, the status of being on deemed deputation.
Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting C M
Jatua, in a written reply to a question, said, "government has
proposed to amend Section 11 of Prasar Bharati Act based on
recommendations of the GoM dated October 5, 2007 and September
Section 11 of Prasar Bharati Act recommends that the
right of taking a decision whether they want to be government
employees or public broadcaster`s employees, should rest with
the employees of Prasar Bharati.
When Prasar Bharati was established as an autonomous
corporation by an Act of Parliament, it was entrusted with the
functions discharged by All India Radio and Doordarshan.
Around 40,000 odd DD and AIR employees had joined it
on deemed deputation, but were not getting any facilities
meant for Central Government employees.
After a prolonged agitation by workers, the GoM had
recommended in September 2008 that employees recruited upto
October 5, 2007 would continue to be government servants on
deemed deputation to Prasar Bharati till retirement and will
enjoy all facilities at par with Central Government employees.
It had further said that employees recruited after
October 5, 2007 will be Prasar Bharati employees.
Accordingly, the government is in the process of
amending Section 11 of the Act to implement the GoM`s
The minister said the government has referred to the
reconstituted Group of Ministers (GoM) the issue of whether a
Parliamentary committee of Prasar Bharati should be
constituted as per provisions of Prasar Bharati Act.
"The issue whether a Parliamentary committee is to be
constituted as per Section 13 of Prasar Bharati Act 1990 or
Section 13 of the Act is to be deleted, has been referred to
the GoM, which has been reconstituted on February 10, 2010 for
taking a view," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family