Govt planning to go ahead with more economic reforms: Khurshid
New Delhi: The government is planning to go ahead with more economic reforms especially in areas where these could be done through its own executive powers, Law Minister Salman Khurshid said on Tuesday.
"The Prime Minister is leading us from the front with the intention that the next two years are going to be very significant years of economic reforms. These are economic reforms, fortunately that have yet not required any legislation and these can be done without legislation," Khurshid told reporters.
"There are another major segment that can only come through legislation and we will have to wait to see how much of that we will achieve in the coming session," he added.
Khurshid was also asked as to what were the other reforms that the government had on its mind.
"Well obviously, the tax legislation will have to wait for parliamentary approval. GST and the Direct Tax Code, these can`t come without parliamentary approval. But many other areas where the legislative platforms are already in place, and within the legislative platforms we have the ability for executive decisions we are moving ahead in reforms in those areas," he said.
Khurshid said economic reforms were the way forward for the Indian economy and it was the continuation of policies which the country had been following for a long time.
"You need to generate wealth in order to be able redistribute it and that is the model from the time of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru all the way to Narasimha Rao, who worked on a blueprint that was left behind for him by late leader Rajiv Gandhi," he said.
The middle class of the country gave Congress party the support due to reforms, Khurshid said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof