Govt plans slew of programmes to mark Nehru`s 125th birth anniversary
New Delhi: As a mark of special tribute to Jawaharlal Nehru, government has earmarked a slew of programmes throughout the year to commemorate his 125th birth anniversary at a possible cost of Rs 100 crore.
The programmes range from release of special coin and stamp to making of a feature film on Nehru on the pattern of Richard Attenborough`s `Gandhi` based on Mahatma Gandhi.
The decisions were taken by a committee, headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, at a meeting which was also attended by UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
The meeting deliberated upon a number of proposals such as organisation of exhibitions, seminars across the country, completion of selected works of Nehru and renovation of the Nehru Memorial Museum.
It was decided that a `Nehru portal` will be created on the lines of Gandhi heritage portal.
A suggestion was made for multi-media and social media outreach on the life of Nehru on the lines of South African leader Nelson Mandela.
There was a proposal for making a feature film on Nehru`s life on the pattern of `Gandhi` and Information and Broadcasting Ministry was asked to rope in some internationally-acclaimed Director.
The cost of the feature film will be borne by the government-run National Films Division Corporation.
Among other things, it was decided that books and pamphlets will be published on Nehru`s different aspects of life and select works of Nehru from 1960 to 1964 will be documented.
Nehru Memorial Library will host international conferences on different subjects. Effort will be made for installation of a bust of Nehru in one of the schools in England where he had studied.
A scholarship scheme will be launched in the name of Nehru and a Chair will be set up in his name at Cambridge and different Indian universities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks