Govt plans slew of programmes to mark Nehru`s 125th birth anniversary
New Delhi: As a mark of special tribute to Jawaharlal Nehru, government has earmarked a slew of programmes throughout the year to commemorate his 125th birth anniversary at a possible cost of Rs 100 crore.
The programmes range from release of special coin and stamp to making of a feature film on Nehru on the pattern of Richard Attenborough`s `Gandhi` based on Mahatma Gandhi.
The decisions were taken by a committee, headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, at a meeting which was also attended by UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
The meeting deliberated upon a number of proposals such as organisation of exhibitions, seminars across the country, completion of selected works of Nehru and renovation of the Nehru Memorial Museum.
It was decided that a `Nehru portal` will be created on the lines of Gandhi heritage portal.
A suggestion was made for multi-media and social media outreach on the life of Nehru on the lines of South African leader Nelson Mandela.
There was a proposal for making a feature film on Nehru`s life on the pattern of `Gandhi` and Information and Broadcasting Ministry was asked to rope in some internationally-acclaimed Director.
The cost of the feature film will be borne by the government-run National Films Division Corporation.
Among other things, it was decided that books and pamphlets will be published on Nehru`s different aspects of life and select works of Nehru from 1960 to 1964 will be documented.
Nehru Memorial Library will host international conferences on different subjects. Effort will be made for installation of a bust of Nehru in one of the schools in England where he had studied.
A scholarship scheme will be launched in the name of Nehru and a Chair will be set up in his name at Cambridge and different Indian universities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days