Govt puts anti-terror hub NCTC in deep freeze
New Delhi: The government is learnt to have decided not to go ahead with the proposed NCTC after facing strong opposition from non-Congress chief ministers.
In his concluding remarks at Wednesday`s Chief Ministers conference on internal security, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had said that a decision on setting up of the controversial National Counter Terrorism Centre will be taken only after full consensus.
Sources said a political consensus even on a watered-down proposal for NCTC is unlikely any time soon and the anti-terror hub has gone into deep freeze.
Sources said there has been rethinking among the top political leadership and they would not like to antagonise chief ministers like Mamata Banerjee (West Bengal) and Nitish Kumar (Bihar) on the issue of NCTC ahead of the General Election which is less than a year away.
Apart from Banerjee and Kumar, the chief ministers who are opposed to the proposal include Jayalalithaa (Tamil Nadu), Narendra Modi (Gujarat), Raman Singh (Chhattisgarh), Shivraj Singh Chouhan (Madhya Pradesh) and Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
Even Congress Chief Ministers Prithviraj Chavan (Maharashtra), Siddaramaiah (Karnataka) and Tarun Gogoi (Assam) have expressed concern to the revised proposal of the NCTC.
According to the February, 2012 executive order, which faced strong opposition from non-Congress chief ministers, the NCTC will work as an "integral" part of Intelligence Bureau and its director will report to the IB chief.
Besides, the anti-terror body was given `power` through the executive order to carry out operations, including arrest, search and seizure, while keeping the state police concerned into the loop.
However, the latest draft of the NCTC said it will work directly under the Home Ministry and not the IB. Besides, when a terrorist or a terror group is identified or located, operations against them would be carried out through or in conjunction with state police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi