Govt reconstitutes Group of Ministers on Bhopal tragedy
New Delhi: Under pressure, the Centre on Wednesday reconstituted the Group of Ministers (GoM) on Bhopal gas tragedy.
Home Minister P Chidambaram will now head the GoM in place of Arjun Singh – he was the CM of Madhya Pradesh at the time of the accident.
The new GoM’s - formed under directive from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) - main agenda would be to re-look all aspects related to the world’s biggest industrial disaster that left more than 15,000 innocent people dead on December 2-3, 1984, so that justice seems delivered to the victims.
Besides Chidambaram the other members of the committee are Law Minister Veerappa Moily, Health Minister Gulam Nabi Azad, Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh, Surface Transport Minister Kamal Nath, Science & Technology minister Prithviraj Chauhan, Chemicals & Fertilisers Minister ML Alagiri and Minister for Urban Poverty Alleviation Kumari Selja.
Besides them, the Madhya Pradesh Minister in-charge of the rehabilitation of Bhopal victims would be a permanent invitee to the GoM.
The GoM is also expected to look at ways to ensure that the absconding former CEO of Union Carbide, Warren Anderson, is extradited from the US to face trial in India.
The high-power committee would work towards devising a new comprehensive compensation law and also ways to ensure that criminal onus is fixed in the eventuality of such tragedies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid