Govt reconstitutes Group of Ministers on Bhopal tragedy
New Delhi: Under pressure, the Centre on Wednesday reconstituted the Group of Ministers (GoM) on Bhopal gas tragedy.
Home Minister P Chidambaram will now head the GoM in place of Arjun Singh – he was the CM of Madhya Pradesh at the time of the accident.
The new GoM’s - formed under directive from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) - main agenda would be to re-look all aspects related to the world’s biggest industrial disaster that left more than 15,000 innocent people dead on December 2-3, 1984, so that justice seems delivered to the victims.
Besides Chidambaram the other members of the committee are Law Minister Veerappa Moily, Health Minister Gulam Nabi Azad, Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh, Surface Transport Minister Kamal Nath, Science & Technology minister Prithviraj Chauhan, Chemicals & Fertilisers Minister ML Alagiri and Minister for Urban Poverty Alleviation Kumari Selja.
Besides them, the Madhya Pradesh Minister in-charge of the rehabilitation of Bhopal victims would be a permanent invitee to the GoM.
The GoM is also expected to look at ways to ensure that the absconding former CEO of Union Carbide, Warren Anderson, is extradited from the US to face trial in India.
The high-power committee would work towards devising a new comprehensive compensation law and also ways to ensure that criminal onus is fixed in the eventuality of such tragedies.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know