Govt relaxes tax norms for NGOs, charitable institutions
New Delhi: The government today relaxed the
norms for NGOs and charitable institutions by doing away with
the practice of renewing tax concession status to them every
Henceforth, the official said, the income tax authority
will grant tax concession status, which will remain valid till
"These approvals will be one-time approvals unless
withdrawn by the income-tax authority empowered to grant
them," Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) said in a
Presently, the Income Tax department grants such a status
to an organisation and can also withdraw it if the
organisation is proved to be flouting any prescribed rule. The
NGO also has to renew its approval from the Income Tax
department every 3 years.
Now, these organisations would not be required to go for
a renewal each time, unless it is questioned by the tax
"It is a welcome move and it would remove administration
burden," KPMG`s tax expert Vikas Vasal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug