Govt reluctant on U Lalit`s appointment in 2G case
New Delhi: The government Tuesday voiced its reluctance to the appointment of senior Supreme Court counsel UU Lalit as special public prosecutor in the trial of the 2G spectrum case.
It told the apex court that such an appointment may not be in conformity with the Prevention of Money Laundering Act and would be open to challenge.
An apex court bench headed by Justice GS Singhvi was told that under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, a person to be appointed as special public prosecutor should have served under the union/state for seven years.
When the court asked if in the interest of substantive justice it could not appoint the special public prosecutor, Attorney General G.E. Vahanvati said the powers of the court under article 142 of the constitution did not include appointment of public prosecutor.
The court adjourned the matter and will take it up Friday.
On April 1, the apex court was informed that Uday Lalit will be the special public prosecutor leading the CBI`s case in the court.
Lalit`s name came up in the wake of the apex court insisting that the Central Bureau of Investigation that is probing the 2G case should have a special public prosecutor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming