Govt returns SC collegium’s recommendation on judge`s elevation
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: The Narendra Modi government has returned another proposal of the Supreme Court collegium on the elevation of a judge.
As per reports, the government returned the collegium file recommending elevation of Karnataka High Court judge KL Manjunath as the Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court.
A report in a leading English daily claimed that Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad returned the file as a senior Supreme Court judge had written an adverse note against Manjunath – the seniormost judge of the Karnataka High Court – questioning his elevation.
While the senior SC judge had been consulted by Chief Justice RM Lodha on Manjunath`s elevation, the former`s adverse note was however ignored by the collegium while making the recommendation to the government.
The decision by the Law Minister was taken after consultations with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The development came just days after the government, in a similar move, sent back a recommendation of the SC collegium, rejecting former solicitor general Gopal Subramanium`s name for appointment as an SC judge.
The CJI had publicly disapproved the government’s decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- BSF trooper shoots dead young Muslim woman in Tripura after unsuccessful rape bid - Know what happened
- Brazilian scientists found another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito
- Nagarjuna turns singer for 'Nirmala Convent'
- Legendary artist S H Raza passes away
- 'Ready to clutch a beer' says UK's first double hand transplant patient!- Watch