Govt revises wages under NREGA
New Delhi: The Government has revised the
wages for unskilled manual workers under the national rural
employment guarantee scheme by indexing it to inflation, Rural
Development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said on Tuesday.
He told the Rajya Sabha during Question Hour that the
original National Rural Employment Guarantee Act provides for
wages to be indexed to the Consumer Price Index for
Against the Rs 100 per day wages originally approved,
actual wages given are as high as Rs 181 in Nicobar.
Haryana gives Rs 179 per day while daily wage in
Chandigarh under the scheme is Rs 174. It is Rs 170 in Andaman
and Rs 150 in Kerala. The wages are in the range of Rs 118 to
Rs 138 per day in other states, he said.
Deshmukh, however, did not give a direct reply to a
question raised by Brinda Karat (CPI-M) on why recommendations
of the National Advisory Council headed by UPA Chairperson
Sonia Gandhi in this regard were not implemented.
"Powers are with the Central government to notify wage
rates," he said.
The reply did not satisfy Karat who continued to raise the
Deskhmukh said regular monitoring was being done but the
primary responsibility of implementing the scheme rested with
the state governments.
Many times, many state governments are not cooperating in
checking irregularities, he said without naming the state
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened