Govt rubbishes Ramdev’s charge on black money
New Delhi: Government and the Congress on Tuesday lampooned the NDA asking what steps it had taken to bring back blackmoney stashed abroad when it was in power and rejected charges of yoga guru Ramdev and Anna Hazare that the present ruling dispensation has failed to take any action on it.
Berated on the issue by Team Anna and then by Ramdev, who got the support of BJP, JD(U) and other NDA partners, Government went on a counter offensive, dismissing the charges of inaction.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said Government has taken a series of steps to unearth blackmoney. This included signing of bilateral agreements with several foreign countries with the purpose of bringing tax evasion to light.
This issue was raised in Parliament many times and during his tenure as Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee had even issued a white paper on the matter, she told reporters on being asked about Ramdev attacking the Government during his protest against blackmoney.
Attacking the opposition, Congress said, "The reasons for the agitations are not ostensibly what have been put forth and what has emerged clearly yesterday is that the mask has come off and eventually those people who have been using cats paws to fight their political battle" stood exposed.
Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari took a dig at NDA leaders including Nitin Gadkari and Sharad Yadav who had participated in the agitation launched by Ramdev.
"They should understand political battles are not fought like this. You have to stand on your own feet. You have to strong enough to fight your own battle and we will reply to each and every charge you made," he told reporters here.
He said "we would also like to tell the country that what action they (NDA leaders) have taken when they were in the power to unearth black money."
"No government has done so much like this government has done to unearth black money. It has taken many steps including dual tax avoidance treaty, tax information agreement signed with other countries to unearth black money," he said.
"It is not fair to say government has not done anything. In fact what the UPA government has done in the last three years to unearth black money no government has done it so far," Tewari said.
On Ramdev breaking his fast, he said "everyone has right to agitation in democracy. But then question arises what are the issues involved in it. Here there is a big difference between the issues involved and the motive behind the agitation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp