Govt rules out amendment to N-liability law
New Delhi: The government Wednesday ruled out any
amendments to the recently-enacted civil nuclear law to
accommodate concerns of American companies on the issue of
suppliers liability as a package during the coming visit of
President Barack Obama to India next month.
"The question of amendments is never on the cards. We
have explained to them (the US) the circumstances in which we
had to go through (with) the bill and we have to work within
the parameters of the legislation," External Affairs Minister
SM Krishna said at a breakfast meeting with editors here.
He said they (the US) also know in a Parliamentary
system of democracy the bill becomes the law of the land and
they also understand it because they work with the US Congress
where legislations are made.
The minister was replying to questions on whether the
government was planning amendments to the Civil Nuclear
Liabilities Law, which fixes stiff liabilities on suppliers in
case of accidents, enacted during the monsoon of Parliament
as a package to Obama during the visit.
US companies wanting to do business with India in the
civil nuclear sector had expressed concerns over the
provisions in the law.
Krishna said in the course of discussions with
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during his recent visit
India had provided them with "enough reasons" for enacting the
legislation "so that they can understand the Indian position".
He said the civil nuclear accord was done during
President George W Bush`s time and the present administration
including Obama and Clinton were "very anxious" that the two
countries continued to work as partners.
"This will come up for discussions between Obama and
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know