Govt rules out JPC, dares Oppn to move `No-Confidence Motion`
New Delhi: As Parliament continued to be
paralysed for the tenth consecutive working day, government
Thursday ruled out JPC probe into 2G scam and dared the
Opposition to move `No-Confidence Motion` if it was not
satisfied with its offer of PAC examining the matter.
The government also ruled out truncating the Winter
Session as Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said efforts are
being made to end the impasse although he did not know how it
can be done.
At a meeting of leaders of political parties with Rajya
Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari this morning, Parliamentary
Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal asserted that government
would not agree to JPC and the Opposition would have to settle
for examination of CAG report on 2G spectrum allocation by the
Public Accounts Committee of Parliament, sources said.
BJP leader S S Ahluwalia argued that PAC could not summon
a minister and it could be done only by a JPC. At this, Bansal
said if the Opposition had no faith in the government and PAC
examining the 2G issue, it could move a `No-Confidence
Motion`, they said.
Later speaking to reporters, Bansal said the government
had firmly rejected the demand for JPC and told the Opposition
that if their only objective was to summon the Prime Minister
and some ministers, that was not acceptable.
"Today I told the Opposition that if that is your
objective (summoning the PM and ministers) that is not
acceptable. If you have the courage and conviction, come and
discuss the issue in the House," he said.
Asked what the government would do if Opposition moves a
no-confidence motion, Bansal said "if such a thing happens, we
cannot stop it. But the Opposition will get a beating. The
government is in power till it has majority. People will also
understand that it is the opposition that is not allowing the
House to function."
Mukherjee, after a meeting with CPI(M) leader Sitaram
Yechury on the deadlock, told reporters that efforts are being
made to end the impasse.
"We have not yet been able to find a solution. I do not
know how to resolve this impasse. We are trying. Let us see,"
Mukherjee, who is also Leader of the Lok Sabha, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in