Govt rules out SPG security for Narendra Modi
Manesar: Government Tuesday ruled out providing SPG security to Narendra Modi saying BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate does not need it.
"Narendra Modi has been given sufficient security. He does not need the SPG security," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters here on the sidelines of a function here.
He was replying to a question whether the Centre was considering providing the Special Protection Group security to the Gujarat Chief Minister.
Modi has been accorded Z-plus security with round-the- clock protection by elite National Security Guard commandos.
BJP leader Subramanian Swamy had yesterday demanded SPG protection for the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate after his rally in Patna was rocked with a series of explosions on Sunday.
Swamy urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to amend the SPG Act to extend its security cover to "principal candidates for the post of Prime Minister in the fortchcoming elections in 2014."
According to the SPG Act, the specialised commando force is mandated to provide proximate security to the Prime Minister and former Prime Minister of India and members of their immediate families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble