Govt sanctions Rs 4065.81 cr for pollution abatement schemes for rivers, lakes
New Delhi: The government has sanctioned Rs 4065.81 crore for pollution abatement schemes for rivers and lakes in various states with Uttar Pradesh getting the biggest share at Rs 1385.95 crore.
The amount includes sanctioned cost of projects and expenditure incurred including the share of the state governments under the National River Conservation Programme (NRCP) and the National Lake Conservation Programme (NLCP), an official release said.
Under NLCP, the Ministry for Environment and Forests has sanctioned projects for conservation of 61 lakes in 14 states with a total cost of Rs 1031.18 crore, it said.
"Works taken up under the Plan include core components of interception, diversion and treatment of waste-waters before their entry into the lake, catchment area treatment, shoreline protection, in-lake treatment such as aeration, de-weeding, de-siltation, bio-remediation," it said.
The NRCP covers 41 rivers in 191 towns spread across 20 states, the release said.
Various pollution abatement schemes taken up under the Plan, include interception and diversion of raw sewage, setting up of sewage treatment plants, creation of low cost sanitation facilities, setting up of electric/improved wood crematoria and river front development, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week
- Blue hues to die for! Sonakshi Sinha is basking under Maldives sun- See pic
- Types of HIV carried by chimps can infect humans: Study
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich