Govt says no criminality involved `Q` case
New Delhi: The government on Thursday defended the
decision to withdraw the Bofors pay-off case against Italian
businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi saying there was no
"There have been cases in foreign courts, domestic
courts, high court...everywhere it has gone. Everyone said
there is no case. The Delhi High Court said there is no case
under the Prevention of Corruption Act. When there is no case
under PCA, where is the criminality involved?" Law Minister M
Veerappa Moily told reporters.
He said if the government wanted to recover the money
which was paid "and if there is evidence of commission...why
was the money fully settled in 1990 itself when there was no
The minister said that the matter was before the
magistrate`s court and that a withdrawal petition has already
He said Argentina dismissed India`s case at a cost. "They
imposed a cost at filing the case...CBI pursued vigorously all
these years but ultimately there was no result," he said.
On October 3, CBI had filed an application before a Delhi
court seeking closure of the Bofors pay-off case against
Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi.
The probe agency said all efforts to extradite
Quattrocchi for facing the trial here have failed.
Quattrocchi, the sole surviving accused in the
two-decade-old case after the Delhi High Court quashed the
charges on May 31, 2005 against other accused, has never
appeared before any court in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand