Govt scared of RTI Act, wants to dilute it: BJP
New Delhi: Accusing the government of being
"scared" of the RTI Act, BJP on Friday slammed the Prime
Minister`s statement favoring a "critical look" at the
transparency law and warned that any attempt to dilute the act
would be opposed across the country.
"Is the government scared now of the RTI Act? The
Government wants to turn its back towards the Act. The
government, which has already lost its credibility, fears that
it would be nowhere if this Act survives for a long time,"
said BJP spokesman Rajiv Pratap Rudy.
The BJP also charged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of
giving indications on dilution of the RTI Act and warned the
government that any such attempt would be opposed
across the country.
"By stating that the RTI Act is a wastage and time and
expenses, the Prime Minister is giving a big indication to
dilute the Act. We never expected such a statement from the
PM," said Rudy.
He claimed the Prime Minister was siding with the rhetoric
of such organisations which are seeking exemption from the
"The BJP feels that the tenor of the Prime Minister`s
speech at the 6th conference of Information Commissioners is
an attempt or an indication to rake up a debate in this
country to dilute the provisions of the RTI, said Rudy.
Terming the PM`s statement as "very objectionable" and
which no other PM has ever said, the BJP said, "This is a
matter of concern, as he (the PM) is talking in complete
contradiction to the very tenet of the RTI Act."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice