Govt seeks BJP’s co-operation on key bills
New Delhi: Ahead of the crucial Cabinet meet later today, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Monday morning met senior BJP leaders LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley and Yashwant Sinha.
Sources said the meeting focussed on several issues, important among them being extending the Winter Session of Parliament.
While no official word was available, sources said Mukherjee sought cooperation from the main opposition BJP in ensuring the passage of several key bills in the current session, including the contentious Lokpal legislation, Food Security Bill, Pensions Bill and Companies Bill.
Sources also said the decision on extending the current Parliament Session would be taken at today’s Cabinet meeting.
The civil society group led by Anna Hazare has demanded that the Lokpal Bill be passed in Winter Session only, which is originally scheduled to conclude on December 22.
The Cabinet is meeting in the evening to put a final shape to the Lokpal Bill which could be tabled in Parliament as early as tomorrow. Hazare would be present in Parliament when the Bill is tabled and discussed there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- Dalit victims brought to Ahmedabad after health deteriorates
- Class Act! Footballer John Obi Mikel donates USD 30,000 to Nigeria's team for Rio Olympics
- Clinton accepts Democratic White House nomination in defining speech
- AMAZING WEIGHT LOSS TIP! Is this the fastest way to lose fat overnight?- Watch
- Not everything they taught you in science was true - 10 myths debunked in this 3-min VIDEO!