Govt seeks details on pending cases in high courts
Shimla: To know the backlog of Central government litigations in various high courts of the country, New Delhi has shot off communications to its counsel to furnish details.
A letter in this regard has also been received by the Himachal Pradesh High Court.
In his letter to Central government counsel here Sandeep Sharma, Additional Solicitor-General of India Mohan Jain has sought details about the number of Central government`s cases in the High Court, the year of filing and the present status -- admitted or pending.
The letter says the exercise is part of the National Litigation Policy - 2010, which aims at "transforming the government into an efficient and responsible litigant".
The aim is to save valuable court time and help in reducing the average pendency time from 15 years to three years, says the letter.
Jain, who is overseeing the Central government litigations in the northern states, has also written similar communications to the Punjab and Haryana High Court and the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
To overall reduce the pendency of court cases in Himachal Pradesh, the High Court has already initiated various steps.
Last month, it launched a project to create a litigation-free village in each district within one year by adopting alternative methods of dispute redressal like mediation, `lok adalats` (people`s court) and settlement by conciliation and arbitration.
The project will be implemented by involving nine law colleges -- both private and government -- in the state.
Chief Justice Kurian Joseph said the number of pending cases in the High Court has come down from 54,000 in February 2010 to 45,000 in August. He said some of the pending cases pertained to 1987.
"The aim is to clear the pending cases up to 2001 by the end of this year. This would bring down the number of pending cases to around 20,000," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'