Govt seeks legal seal for `name and shame` database of rapists
New Delhi: The Centre is seeking legal seal for preparing a data base containing names, photographs and other details of all rape convicts across the country to ensure social ignominy for them.
The Home Ministry has asked the Secretary in Department of Legal Affairs to give its opinion on the initiative and whether the move would be legally valid.
In another letter, the Ministry has asked the Director General of National Crime Records Bureau to give its advice on technical aspects of the initiative.
The Home Ministry particularly wanted to know whether the name of a person convicted by a lower court could be made public in case he moves a higher court.
The initiative to prepare a data base of all rape convicts across the country and to make public their names, addresses along with their photographs was taken by Minister of State for Home RPN Singh.
He had said that the NCRB will prepare the directory of all rape convicts and upload their photographs, names and addresses on its website.
"We are planning to start it in Delhi. Photographs, names and addresses of the rapists will be uploaded on Delhi Police website also. Subsequently the plan will cover all states and Union Territories and websites of state police forces will carry photographs, names and addresses of the rape convicts," he had said.
The action was part of slew of measures undertaken by the government aimed at preventing crime against women in the wake of protests after the brutal gang-rape and assault of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi on December 16. The victim died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer