Govt seeks legal view on Army Chief age row
New Delhi: A day after Army Chief General VK Singh moved the Supreme Court to save his ‘integrity and honour’ in connection with a dispute over his age, the government is now in a fix and brainstorming how to defend itself in the case.
Reports, Tuesday, claimed that Union Defence Minister AK Antony has sought Attorney General G E Vahanvati`s view on the issue.
The two are expected to meet today and discuss all aspects of dispute over General VK Singh’s age.
The Army Chief and the government are at loggerheads after Defence Ministry rejected his claim on his date of birth.
In his writ petition, Gen Singh is believed to have questioned the government`s decision to treat his date of birth as May 10, 1950 instead of May 10,1951 as claimed by him on the basis of his matriculation certificate and other documents.
This is the first time that any Service Chief has dragged the government to the court of law.
The petition has been filed and senior advocate UU Lalit will represent Gen Singh before the apex court.
In his petition, Gen Singh has said the matter related to his "honour and integrity" as he headed a force of 13 lakh personnel.
He questioned why the government had chosen to "change" his date of birth after he had spent 36 years in service and promoted throughout the career.
Gen Singh`s action caps months of tussle between him and the Ministry of Defence during which he made two statutory representations to the Ministry.
Antony had recently rejected his statutory representation which ended all the internal appeal options on the subject for the General.
By this decision of the government, Gen Singh will have to retire on May 31.
He has been contending that May 10, 1951 should be treated as his actual date of birth as it was mentioned in his matriculation certificate but the Defence Ministry has rejected it as May 10, 1950 is the date entered in his UPSC entrance form for National Defence Academy (NDA).
With PTI Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case