Govt seeks ministries’ views over anti-dowry law
New Delhi: The Women and Child Development Ministry is eliciting views of other ministries before amending the anti-dowry Act, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Thursday.
"We have sought views from other departments on the issue (proposed amendment to the Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961)," Minister of State for Women and Child Development Krishna Tirath said during Question Hour.
The amendment bill was drafted taking into account the recommendations of the National Commission for Women (NCW).
However, NCW`s suggestions were opposed by NGOs, she said.
The NCW had suggested amendment to the definition of dowry, provision of registration of lists of gifts received at the time of marriage, provision of separate penalties for giving and taking of dowry among others, she said.
Tirath said the NCW held further consultation and provided the minutes of the same to the ministry. Thereafter, the ministry held regional and national consultations on the issue.
"Currently, the ministry is examining the proposed amendments in the light of the deliberations made in these consultations," she said.
Replying to a separate question, she said 19 states, including Bihar and Rajasthan, have formulated dowry prohibitive rules on the model circulated by the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark