Govt seeks Oppn support in pushing reforms bills
New Delhi: A day after suspending FDI in retail, the government on Thursday sought cooperation from the Opposition, especially the BJP, in Parliament to pursue key reforms such as opening of the pension sector.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who played a trouble-
shooter in resolving the impasse over FDI in multi-brand
retail, appealed to the NDA that it should support the
government which is trying to control inflation and grapple
with the global economic crisis.
Replying to a debate on price rise in the Rajya Sabha, he
said the government was following the reforms agenda initiated
by the NDA Government.
"We adopted many of the measures which you initiated,
including PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development
Authority) bill. My only request ... the baby which you gave
birth to, do not leave it with bathwater. Let me carry it on,
let me nurse it, let me come to mature it," he said.
Reform is a continuous process, Mukherjee said, adding
when the Congress was in opposition, it cooperated with the
government. The government needs of support of NDA to push
important reforms bills in Parliament.
Referring to the logjam over foreign direct investment
in retail, he said though it would have benefited the country,
"let`s forget about it. That is the story of yesterday. Let`s
After Opposition and Trinamool Congress and DMK,
paralysed Parliament for over a week, the government put its
decision to open the retail sector to FDI on hold.
On price, while Mukherjee asserted that the government
has taken several measures, the Opposition accused the UPA of
being insensitive to the plight of the common-man. The
Opposition staged a walk-out in the Rajya Sabha and sought to
corner government in the Lower House as well on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai