Govt seeks Oppn support in pushing reforms bills
New Delhi: A day after suspending FDI in retail, the government on Thursday sought cooperation from the Opposition, especially the BJP, in Parliament to pursue key reforms such as opening of the pension sector.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who played a trouble-
shooter in resolving the impasse over FDI in multi-brand
retail, appealed to the NDA that it should support the
government which is trying to control inflation and grapple
with the global economic crisis.
Replying to a debate on price rise in the Rajya Sabha, he
said the government was following the reforms agenda initiated
by the NDA Government.
"We adopted many of the measures which you initiated,
including PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development
Authority) bill. My only request ... the baby which you gave
birth to, do not leave it with bathwater. Let me carry it on,
let me nurse it, let me come to mature it," he said.
Reform is a continuous process, Mukherjee said, adding
when the Congress was in opposition, it cooperated with the
government. The government needs of support of NDA to push
important reforms bills in Parliament.
Referring to the logjam over foreign direct investment
in retail, he said though it would have benefited the country,
"let`s forget about it. That is the story of yesterday. Let`s
After Opposition and Trinamool Congress and DMK,
paralysed Parliament for over a week, the government put its
decision to open the retail sector to FDI on hold.
On price, while Mukherjee asserted that the government
has taken several measures, the Opposition accused the UPA of
being insensitive to the plight of the common-man. The
Opposition staged a walk-out in the Rajya Sabha and sought to
corner government in the Lower House as well on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh