Govt seeks probe report from France on Indian terror accused
New Delhi: India has sought a detailed
investigation report from French authorities on terror accused
Mohammad Niaz Abdul Rashid, a native of Tamil Nadu and
allegedly an active member of banned organisation SIMI.
Officials privy to the development said the government
was also considering seeking consular access to Rashid based
on the probe details from that country.
They said central security agencies are closely in touch
with their French counterparts over his interrogation and
extending all possible cooperation.
Rashid was arrested by French Police along with six other
suspected Islamic militants on May 10 and French authorities
suspect that he was recruiting volunteers there for joining a
Pakistan-based terrorist outfit.
Rashid holds an Indian passport and had visited India
some time back. Meanwhile, Tamil Nadu police is trying to find
out Rashid`s exact address in India as mentioned in its
According to police, Rashid had obtained two passports
from Tamil Nadu -- one from Tiruchi region, but were not sure
from where he obtained the other one which was apparently
They said he was an active member of the Jhun Jhunwala
militant outfit based in Pakistan.
Officials said they were also verifying bank records here
to ascertain if money had been transferred to anyone from
Paris, where he had been living for long. They suspect Rashid
could have got his Pakistan link either through some outfits
in Kerala or Mumbai.
Contending that Rashid has been under the radar of Indian
intelligence agencies too, Chidambaram had yesterday said the
Mechanical Engineer had reportedly a "militant bent of mind"
and had joined a SIMI-affiliated organisation at 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Another blockbuster? Salman Khan's next with Kabir Khan based on human drama!
- Space shuttle launch: PM Modi hails ISRO scientists
- Ariana Grande trips at Billboard Music Awards red carpet
- Yuvraj Singh returns to Indian Premier League playoffs after seven long years
- With 'Sairat', Marathi cinema flies high on BO, appreciation