Govt seeks to curb powers of Prasar Bharati CEO
New Delhi: The government is mulling curbing
powers of Prasar Bharati CEO in the backdrop of charges
against former head of the public broadcaster B S Lalli with
regard to Commonwealth Games contracts, an official said
Once amendments in the Prasar Bharati Act for the purpose
come into force, the process to remove its CEO will become
easier, the senior I&B Ministry official said.
The amendments will also empower the Ministry to order
telecast of an event on Doordarshan, he said.
"During the Commonwealth Games last year, Lalli took all
the decisions which resulted in a CBI case into award of the
broadcasting contracts," the official said.
"It was felt that despite the presence of oversight
committee Lalli managed to take all decisions because of the
powers the Prasar Bharati Act confers on the CEO," he said.
A Group of Ministers, which studied the matter, has
suggested that the relation between the ministry and Prasar
Bharati be relooked, he said.
Sources said that one of the key amendments that the
ministry has moved for the Cabinet`s consideration is
inclusion of a clause according to which "inefficiency" is a
criterion for the removal of the CEO.
A board, which would include the Vice President, the
Chairperson of Press Council of India, and the Minister of
Information and Broadcasting, would have powers to appoint and
also remove the CEO, they said.
As per the present Act, the removal of the Prasar Bharati
CEO cannot be made without the consent of the President and
the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur