Govt set to announce Muslim reservation: Sources
New Delhi: In a bid to woo Muslims ahead of the Assembly elections in five states, the Union government is all set to announce reservation for the minorities on Thursday.
According to Zee News reports, the Union Cabinet will meet Thursday evening to discuss the contentious issue and a decision is likely to be taken.
According to reports, the government is hurrying the decision over the issue in the wake of Assembly elections in five states, the dates of which may be announced on December 23, after which the model code of conduct will come into effect prohibiting the government to make any announcements.
It should be noted that the contentious issue of Muslim reservation has been in constant limelight with the Congress leaders continuously indicating that the government is serious about the issue.
Earlier, Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid had announced that the government will bring the reservation for minorities soon.
Speaking at a public rally in Kanpur along with Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Khurshid had said, “Government is serious about bringing reservation for minorities. A decision in this regard will be taken soon.”
Maintaining that the government must fulfil the promises it made, Khurshid had earlier said, "We are elected to do what we promised. Before the five years are out, we must fulfil our promises."
Khurshid had said the government would soon take a decision on providing reservation for "backward Muslims" by including them in the 27 per cent OBC quota and a proposal in this regard would soon come up before Cabinet.
However, Khurshid has assured the OBC communities that they will not be deprived of their rights even if backward Muslims are accommodated in the 27 per cent quota fixed for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’