Govt set to announce Muslim reservation: Sources
New Delhi: In a bid to woo Muslims ahead of the Assembly elections in five states, the Union government is all set to announce reservation for the minorities on Thursday.
According to Zee News reports, the Union Cabinet will meet Thursday evening to discuss the contentious issue and a decision is likely to be taken.
According to reports, the government is hurrying the decision over the issue in the wake of Assembly elections in five states, the dates of which may be announced on December 23, after which the model code of conduct will come into effect prohibiting the government to make any announcements.
It should be noted that the contentious issue of Muslim reservation has been in constant limelight with the Congress leaders continuously indicating that the government is serious about the issue.
Earlier, Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid had announced that the government will bring the reservation for minorities soon.
Speaking at a public rally in Kanpur along with Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Khurshid had said, “Government is serious about bringing reservation for minorities. A decision in this regard will be taken soon.”
Maintaining that the government must fulfil the promises it made, Khurshid had earlier said, "We are elected to do what we promised. Before the five years are out, we must fulfil our promises."
Khurshid had said the government would soon take a decision on providing reservation for "backward Muslims" by including them in the 27 per cent OBC quota and a proposal in this regard would soon come up before Cabinet.
However, Khurshid has assured the OBC communities that they will not be deprived of their rights even if backward Muslims are accommodated in the 27 per cent quota fixed for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof