Govt sets up elite unit to combat terror financing
New Delhi: In order to effectively deal
with funding of terrorist activities, the government is
putting in place an elite unit in the Home Ministry to combat
the menace, which has a bearing on national security.
The first-ever such cell will function under the Ministry
of Home Affairs, but will be headed by an officer of the
Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax), sources said.
The unit will function as the "nodal office" between
various investigative and enforcement agencies to deal
exclusively with cases of terror financing and instances of
money laundering for such activities.
According to sources, the cell will have a strength of
eight officials initially and will be a part of the Internal
Security-I division of the Home Ministry.
"The cell, the first such in the Home Ministry, will take
up all cases related to terror funding in India and abroad. It
will collate intelligence and information from all law
enforcement agencies and coordinate with them," a senior
officer privy to the development said.
Initially, the cell will liaise with agencies like the
Department of Revenue Intelligence (DRI), Intelligence Bureau
(IB), Income Tax Department, Enforcement Directorate, CBI and
Directorate General of Customs and Central Excise
Subsequently, the unit will scrutinise information
collected from central police organisations and the Financial
Intelligence Unit (FIU).
The unit will start functioning soon, sources said,
adding that the creation of such a special cell was felt
necessary after these agencies found a number of cases having
a bearing on national security.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan