Govt sets up independent aircrash probe panel
New Delhi: A day after the Faridabad air
crash that claimed 10 lives, the government today created an
independent panel to probe major aviation accidents,
separating the role of a regulator and an investigator which
was being performed by the DGCA alone so far.
Aiming at creating an independent investigation system to
match the growth in aviation resulting in rising number of
incidents or accidents, an Accident Investigation Committee
(AIC) has been established to work under supervision of the
Civil Aviation Ministry, an official spokesman said here.
The five-member Committee, to be headed by Director of
Air Safety, would have all its members from the Directorate
General of Civil Aviation. It would identify the causes of
accident in an independent manner and assist the formal probe
panels like Courts or Committees of Inquiry.
AIC would draw up a formal procedures for notification of
an accident or serious incident, assist the Ministry to set up
probe panels in cases of major mishaps and carry out
investigation of aircraft accidents, the spokesman said.
It would also coordinate and provide support for the
probe panels and follow up and monitor the compliance of the
recommendations made in the Accident and Serious Incident
The idea to separate regulatory and investigation
functions, in accordance with recommendations of the UN body
International Civil Aviation Organisation, was mooted a year
ago by then Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel soon after
the Mangalore aircrash that claimed 158 lives.
So far, the DGCA, which frames aviation rules and
regulations, also used to investigate aircrashes and find out
whether its rules were being followed by concerned players or
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- 'Mann Ki Baat': PM Narendra Modi to address nation today, may talk to Army jawans
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015