Govt should avoid unnecessary litigation: Ex-SC judge
New Delhi: Former Supreme Court judge Dalveer Bhandari, who is at present a judge at the International court of Justice at Hague, on Saturday said the government should refrain from resorting to unnecessary litigations in cases as it burdens judicial system.
"The state and the Central government are the biggest litigants in courts. The government must ensure that litigation be initiated only in genuine and bonafide cases," Justice Bhandari said.
He said there is an urgent need to bring "extensive" reforms in the judicial system to provide effective and speedy justice to people.
"We have carried out some reforms but they are far from adequate and we need to carry out extensive judicial reforms. It is absolutely imperative in our country to ensure that in future cases are decided promptly," he said.
Speaking in a seminar on judicial reforms, he said there are many inadequacy in the judicial system which need to be cured.
There is inadequate number of judicial officers, inadequate infrastructure, lack of use of modern technology such as computerisation and frequent adjournment by lawyers are causing delay in justice delivery system." he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video