Govt should avoid unnecessary litigation: Ex-SC judge
New Delhi: Former Supreme Court judge Dalveer Bhandari, who is at present a judge at the International court of Justice at Hague, on Saturday said the government should refrain from resorting to unnecessary litigations in cases as it burdens judicial system.
"The state and the Central government are the biggest litigants in courts. The government must ensure that litigation be initiated only in genuine and bonafide cases," Justice Bhandari said.
He said there is an urgent need to bring "extensive" reforms in the judicial system to provide effective and speedy justice to people.
"We have carried out some reforms but they are far from adequate and we need to carry out extensive judicial reforms. It is absolutely imperative in our country to ensure that in future cases are decided promptly," he said.
Speaking in a seminar on judicial reforms, he said there are many inadequacy in the judicial system which need to be cured.
There is inadequate number of judicial officers, inadequate infrastructure, lack of use of modern technology such as computerisation and frequent adjournment by lawyers are causing delay in justice delivery system." he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?