Govt should consider Rahul`s Lokpal idea: Sandeep
New Delhi: Stating that Rahul Gandhi had made a "substantial contribution" towards ending the Lokpal logjam, Congress MP Sandeep Dikshit on Friday said the government should seriously consider his demand that the office of the ombudsman be given constitutional status like the Election Commission.
"Rahul Gandhi has raised the Lokpal office to the level of a constitutional body. This will change the way we are looking at the issue," Dikshit told reporters outside Parliament.
"The government should consider his demand seriously."
His comment came soon after the Congress general secretary said the "Lokpal office was not the only way to fight corruption and it should be made a constitutional body on the lines of the Election Commission".
Dikshit has been negotiating with Team Anna to end the Lokpal impasse and persuade Hazare to call off his 11-day-old fast.
He said the Lokpal was right now being looked at as a statutory body with powers to function independently.
"But a constitutional body is much more powerful and more important. An idea like this merits attention," he said.
Stating he was not in a position to give a timeline on when the Lokpal may become a constitutional body, the Congress MP said: "It is for the government to consider the demands made by Anna Hazare."
"Anna`s letter has just reached the government and it can take a call on it. I can`t suggest a timeline," said Dikshit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown