Govt should look at problems faced by private airlines: BJP
New Delhi: With the private airlines threatening to go on a nationwide strike on August 18, BJP on Saturday said though it would support all rational measures to bail out Air India the government should also look sympathetically at the problems faced by private airlines.
"The strike call by the Federation of Indian Airlines against ATF fuel hike and high airport charges is unfortunate. We would support any rational decision of the government to bail out Air India, but it should also look at the demands of private airlines," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
The former civil aviation minister said private airlines had also contributed significantly to the Indian aviation sector by increasing connectivity, providing choice of service and a decrease in fares due to competition.
"Naturally, private airlines also consider themselves as contributors and expect a level-playing field," he said.
Rudy felt though the government could not be expected to put private airlines at par with Air India, it was guilty of ignoring the aviation sector in the last five years.
He argued that while the NDA government had taken several measures for expansion of the aviation sector, the UPA government had avoided taking far-reaching decisions leading to a complete disarray in the industry.
"The government cannot wash its hands of these problems," Rudy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday