Govt should make public postmortem report of Chamel Singh: BJP
Jammu: BJP in Jammu and Kashmir on Friday alleged that the Centre had "not handled properly" the issue of death of Indian prisoner Chamel Singh in a Pakistani jail and demanded that his postmortem report be made public.
"The Centre should make public the postmortem report of Chamel Singh. The Centre should use its good offices to pressurise the Pakistani authorities to conduct inquiry about the torture and custodial killing and punish the culprits," the leader of BJP Legislative Party, Ashok Khajuria told reporters here today.
Khajuria was replying to questions about death of Chamel Singh, who was allegedly assaulted by staff at a Pakistani jail.
"The issue of Chamel Singh has not been handled properly by the Government of India. There has been repetition of such unfortunate incidents from the Pakistani side," he said.
Singh, said to be in his sixties, was declared dead on arrival by doctors at the state-run Jinnah Hospital on January 15. His body was brought here from Pakistan on March 13, after which an autopsy was conducted on it.
"Earlier, they beheaded two of our soldiers. This sort of cruelty and inhumanity, which has been evident on the part of Pakistan while dealing with India and Indians is really very sad," Khajuria said.
Pakistan High Commissioner Salman Bashir yesterday said an investigation has been ordered into Singh`s death.
The BJP leader said the party will continue its boycott of the Assembly to protest against the suspension of Jugal Kishore Sharma.
Sharma was suspended by the Speaker of the Assembly, Mubark Gul, for misbehaving with NC minister Sakina Itoo during House proceedings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling